The Sierra Club San Diego Nominating Committee is seeking Chapter members to run for the Chapter Executive Committee (ExCom) in the 2022 Election. The committee seeks a diverse pool of candidates, balanced in terms of gender, ethnicity, and geography. The Sierra Club San Diego membership will elect three (3) Executive Committee members in 2022. The two candidates receiving the highest vote will be elected to three year terms, the next candidate with the highest vote will be elected to a one year term. Nominations are due July 31, 2022.
The candidate questionnaire is available HERE or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please contact the Nominating Committee at NominationsCommittee@sierrasd.org.
The ideal candidate for the San Diego Chapter Executive Committee is an experienced, effective leader who has a clear vision for the Chapter’s future and a proven capacity to work with people to achieve goals and resolve problems. The Nominating Committee will contact potential candidates and will send a questionnaire to those who request one. After reviewing returned questionnaires, the Nominating Committee will select applicants for interviews. To be considered for an interview, candidates must return completed questionnaires to the Nominating Committee by July 31, 2022. The Nominating Committee will announce its candidates at the August 10, 2022 Executive Committee meeting. In addition to the nomination process, the Club bylaws allow candidates to qualify for the ballot by a petition process, as specified in the bylaws. Petitions are available here or by emailing email@example.com.
The Executive Committee, composed of seven elected volunteers and an appointed representative from each Chapter Group, has the legal responsibility and authority to oversee all staff and volunteer activities of the Chapter, to establish the Chapter’s conservation priorities and internal policies, and to adopt and implement the annual budget.
People interested in serving as an Executive Committee member should be:
- Dedicated to the purposes and goals of the Sierra Club
- Able and willing to accept the legal and fiduciary responsibilities of an Executive Committee member
- Able to listen and communicate effectively and work in a team environment
- Able and willing to dedicate sufficient personal time to Executive Committee duties
- Able to think and plan strategically and politically
- Willing to become knowledgeable about environmental and political issues
- Willing to become knowledgeable about the structure and operations of the Chapter
- Able to demonstrate leadership experience
- Able and willing to deal with the broad range of issues that come before the Executive Committee
- Able to demonstrate a history of commitment to the principles and values of the Sierra Club or a history of commitment to environmental and social justice issues
The San Diego Chapter Executive Committee is a working board. All members are expected to devote sufficient time, energy, and creativity to projects and commitments and to carry them through to their successful conclusion.
All Executive Committee members are expected to:
- Prepare for and attend monthly meetings each year
- Participate in conference calls when needed
- Communicate regularly via e-mail
- Participate in other meetings on behalf of the Executive Committee or the Chapter
Executive Committee members receive no monetary compensation but may be reimbursed for approved expenses while on Chapter business.